|August 27th, 2017, 8:30AM|
Return to home page
Please check this page again before the run in case there are changes!!!
Transportation and Parking
Parking at Wilder Ranch costs $10, so consider these options!
- Parking Options:
- Want a pre-run warm-up? There's free parking about 1.5 miles south of
Wilder Ranch on
Shaffer Rd by Highway 1, and a nice bike/pedestrian
trail that connects the on-street parking to Wilder Ranch. Bike it or jog it.
- Free Highway 1 parking is available just outside the
entrance to Wilder Ranch. Early-birds may find space here.
- Parking within Wilder Ranch costs $10 per vehicle. The $10 helps support
State Parks — come as a carpool and divide the cost!
- Bike to Wilder Ranch and enjoy free
valet parking by Bike Santa Cruz County. Bike parking is in the
main race area.
You'll feel like royalty, and they'll watch
your bike and other stuff! Plus, bicyclists get an extra raffle ticket!
- Carpooling Options::
- Runners from Los Gatos north to San Francisco who
want to carpool may want to park in Los Gatos at the
parking lot at Boone and Grays Lane by Los Gatos Brewing Company.
Arrive by 7AM and leave by 7:10AM. Look like a runner so you find other runners! The drive from Los Gatos to Wilder is
about 35 minutes without
traffic, which there shouldn't be early on a Sunday morning, so you'd arrive
- Runners from Santa Cruz who want to carpool may want
to park near
2901 Mission St. Extension.
Arrive by 7:30AM, leave by 7:40AM. Look like a runner
find other runners! The drive from this spot to Wilder is about 5 minutes,
so you'd arrive around 7:45AM.
- Feel free to use the
Run by the
Sea Facebook page to coordinate other arrangements with fellow runners.
Race Day Schedule
- 6:00AM super early volunteer crew arrives
- 7:00AM early volunteer crew arrives
- 7:15AM main volunteer arrival time (some volunteers show up earlier or later)
- 7:20AM Pre-registered runner checkin, and race-day registration begins
- 8:15AM Group warm up with Paige of Studio 831
- 8:25AM 12K runners assemble at 12K starting line
- 8:30AM 12K run begins
- 8:35AM 4K runners assemble at 4K starting line
- 8:40AM 4K jog/walk/run begins
- various times Runners return and snack on oranges, baked goods, and water
- ~9:15AM 4K Awards begin
- ~9:45AM 12K awards begin
- 10:00AM Raffle awards
- ~10:30AM Make a day of your Run by the Sea adventure. Have a picnic, climb the Cedar tree, take a bike ride in the mountain trails of Wilder Ranch, explore the historic ranch buildings, take a tour, enjoy the beauty of Wilder Ranch State Park.
Bib pick-up for pre-registered runners starts at 7:35AM on race day, where
you'll get your bib and goody bag (with shirt, raffle ticket, and other treats).
Check-in area is shown on map above. Be sure to put your raffle ticket(s) in the bin(s) of the prize you'd
most like to win!
If you need a place to stash your goody bad, write your bib # on it and bring it to the bike valet booth.
They will hold it for you until after the race.
Remember, if you registered after 8/15/2017, shirts aren't guaranteed. We'll give them out based on
The awards ceremony begins with the 4K runners. There are medals for the top 3 male and female runners in each of the following age groups:
The overall top 3 male and female 4K runners also receive a special "Overall Winner" medal.
For the 12K, there will be medals and chocolate prizes for the top 3 male
and female runners in each of the following age groups:
The overall top 3 male and female 12K runners also receive a special "Overall Winner" medal.
We'll also have a raffle after the awards, so please stay for the awards as you must be present to win!
We select the age divisions based on numbers of participants who register for the 4K vs. 12K to spread out the glory. Each year we've added more divisions!
Course Safety & Etiquette
To keep yourself and fellow runners safe, please:
- Warning: 12K runners have
a tricky beach crossing (on the way out & on return).
There are slippery rocks, narrow tricky passages, and sand — take it easy, and no passing on the rocks. Cross the beach like a ninja
to avoid getting sand in your shoes, and watch your footing going up and down cliffs. Currently, this is the only legal way to get to the northwest bluff trails.
The purpose of the Run By the Sea event is to legalize the better & safer trails.
Here's another view that shows the running path clearly.
- Do not wear headphones that will prevent you
from hearing your fellow runners. The ocean waves will provide such
lovely music that it'd be a shame to miss it anyway!
- Some portions of the run will have two-way
running traffic, so please run to the right when you encounter
runners going the other direction. And be sure to tell runners still
heading out that "you're almost there"
- Remember basic trail etiquette — walkers/slower runners should start the run
towards the back of the pack. Since the trail is narrow in places, if you will run/walk, be sure
to move to the far right when walking.
- Check the weather, prepare for varying conditions — it often shifts between chilly fog and hot sun.
- Sorry, no pets or strollers on the trail.
- Please follow the instructions of any park rangers/staff, volunteers on the course,
as well as signage.
- Remember this is a state park — help make sure we leave only footsteps.
- Please notice that there is a beautiful wide
dirt road alongside the railroad track that is currently not legal to use.
Then remember that in addition to having a lovely run,
your participation is helping to make it possible to open this area for runners and others, hopefully as soon as 2018!
Giant awards amidst the fields!
If you have questions or comments, please visit the home page and use the contact form or call Ron at 831 272 4627.